This one's a staple.
Every kitchen should have a personal recipe for Banana Nut Bread.
One slice with your morning coffee or tea and you are set for the day.
Banana Nut Bread
Recipe adapted from Caribbean Pot's Youtube Channel with my personal tweak.
1/2 cup Butter (Room Temperature)
1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Buttermilk*
2 Eggs (Room Temperature)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract or Essence
2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
4 Bananas (Over-ripe)
1/2 cup Chopped Nuts**
- Cream together the room temperature butter, sugar and salt.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla and eggs to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Sift all the dry ingredients and fold into the creamed mixture until smooth. Do not overwork or the batter will get tough.
- Mash bananas to a smooth consistency. Add to batter and fold. Remember do not overwork your batter.
- Add chopped nuts.
- Grease and flour your baking pan. (Loaf Pan, Bundt Pan, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for approx. 1 hour and 15 mins but after the 1 hour mark, do the toothpick test and if it's wet, give it the extra 15 mins but watch closely.
Your House is Gonna Smell Amazing...
- *Buttermilk in Trinidad is expensive and don't keep very long even when refrigerated. So i make my own. Pour one (1) teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice into measuring cup and add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one quarter (1/4) cup line. Let stand for five (5) minutes.
- **Typical Banana Nut Bread usually calls for Walnuts but i used what ever i had in the freezer that day which was pecans. Freeze your nuts (hehehe) to prevent it from turning rancid.
- If the top gets to the nice golden brown color that you are looking for, cover with foil and continue baking till done.
Guaranteed you will want to make this Banana Nut Bread every time...